You are here: Home Law Topics Legal Counsel Legal document, evidence authentication or legalization in China or to be used in China

China Lawyer Blog - We answer your questions

Legal document, evidence authentication or legalization in China or to be used in China

We are China notarial lawyers. If you want to have your documents,certificates or evidence legalized in China or to be used in China, please contact our attorney for more information.

Documents, certificates or eveidence legalization in China:

1. To have your documents notarized. In China, Pulic Notary is a government agency rather than private legal body. You may be required to provide many supporting certificates, affidavets, license or other documents to apply for a notarization. You should tell the Public Notary which country you will bring the documents to use. We can assist you to complete the procedure, of course.

2. To have your documents endorsed by China Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You may not bring the documents to the MFA to be enforsed, since it doesn't open to individual persons or private legal bodies. Instead, you have to find an agent, such as our law firm, to submit your notarized documents to MFA. The MFA will affix a small sheet of paper on the back of your documents indicating that the document is true and genuine copies of the original.

3. To have your documents authenticated by the consulate of the foreigner country where you want to bring the documents to use. After the document has been endorsed by the MFA, the MFA will diliver the document directly to the consulate of the foreign country, so you don't have to deliver the document by yourself. The consulate of foreign country then will authenticate the document by put a stamp on the document and then return it to MFA. Finally the document will be return to us.


1. Official fee will be around US150, depending on which country your are going to bring the document to use.

2. Attorney fee: we will normally charge your US$150-250 to assist you or represent you to accomplish this task.

Documents, certificates or evidence legalization to Be Used in China:

Documents executed in foreign countries, such as the United States, and to be used in China should be authenticated by the Chinese Consulates in the US. The Consulate authenticates documents such as birth/death certificates, power of attorney, single status, marriage certificates, diplomas, adoption application, business license, etc.

STEP 1 - Documents should first be notarized by a local Notary Public.
STEP 2 - The notarized document should be authenticated separately by the Secretary of State where the Notary Public register himself. In the states of New York, New Jersey and Ohio, documents may be required to be verified by the County Clerk before the authentication by the Secretaries of States.
STEP 3 - The Chinese Consulate General authenticates the signature of the Secretary of State and the seal of the relevant State. * Their seal will be affixed to the back of the original state document. Documents are then returned to you.


Again, costs vary from country to country. We are not able to represent you to complete the procedure, because we are Chinese lawyer / Chinese attorney. However, we may assist you to find related information by charging a small amount. For more information, contact China lawyer, China attorney or send email to us: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . China lawyer Peter Chu will reply soon.

  • Goal

  • Fees

The law blog is running by a China lawyer working for a full-service law firm, offering practical, results-driven advice on employment law, divorce, company law, and other legal issues. Our goal is to manage these issues effectively so that our clients can focus on what they could do best.

China Lawyer Blog will charge you under your specific circumstances in the following styles:
(1) Hourly fee arrangements
(2) Contingency fee arrangements
(3) Flat fee arrangements
(4) Percentage fee arrangements

Learn More...


China Lawyer Blog China Lawyer Society

China Lawyer

I am a licensed China lawyer. Most clients are foreign nationals and companies. China Lawyer Blog have associates in Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Guangzhou, Suzhou, Nanjing, Qingdao, Fuzhou, Hainan, Hefei, Wuhan, Xian, Changsha, Xiamen and Hangzhou. Learn More

Latest Comments


China law society award

Style of Service

This China Lawyer Blog is aiming at providing better knowledge and understanding of Chinese law for foreigners. Should you have any legal issue in China, do not hesitate to contact China Lawyer Blog for consultation. Preliminary consultation is free. Further legal service, however, will be charged in due rate and in due course.

You are welcomed to ask for a quotation pursuant to your specific circumstance.

About author

China Lawyer BLog AuthorPeter Zhu, an experienced China attorney licensed to practice law for more than ten years, the author of this China Lawyer blog, welcomes any enquiry or consultation related to Chinese law.